Monday, November 22, 2010

Pippin's Question Box

What is the difference between a chicken and a turkey?

14 comments:

SunnyD said...

I believe this question is a matter of classification, not taste. The question is not so much how they are different as much as it is at what point do they differ. They are clearly related species. Figure out at what level of classification they differ and why. An interesting question is whether they are closely related enough to produce offspring together - and if so, what would you call them? Ever hear of a "Turducken"?
SunnyD

njguy320 said...

Well, to be honest, I thought looking this question up would be very easy, but, apparently, it wasn't, almost no information was found during my search. Aside from Yahoo answers, I found out that chickens came from America, and are native to America apposed to turkeys being native to the continent Asia (specifically India).

I found some information on Yahoo Answers (I know that I'm not supposed to use this site but all other information was unreliable to me). First, I found out that turkeys are large birds with longer tail feathers than chickens and make gobble sounds.

Next, I found out that turkeys generally take longer to cook than chickens because they are larger birds. As you would probably think, it may take more heat to cook a turkey, even though you are putting it in for longer, it would need to absorb more heat, or at least that is what I think.

One last different is that chickens are much more popular than turkeys (in taste and price). Well there you have it, the differences between turkeys and chickens. If you disagree with me, post something, and I'll try to make a discussion about it. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_turkey_and_a_chicken_like_a_turkey_has_a_gobble_and_a_chicken_doesn't

and

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071215155257AAlQje6

magnoliablossom21 said...

The difference between a chicken and a turkey is that turkeys are bigger birds with longer tail feathers, and they make gobble sounds. Chickens are smaller birds with a frill on top of their heads, and they make clucking sounds.

- Source- answers.yahoo.com/question/​index?qid=20071215155257AAlQje6 -

Pippin14 said...

@magnoliablossom: Good to hear you answering, but we are looking for a little bit more. Try looking up encyclopedia articles about Chickens and Turkeys and comparing the differences. You may not have learned about classification yet, so if you throw in something about that too, that'll be great.

@njguy: Nice use of several ways to distinguish them: cooking, history, characteristics, and even culture! However, you missed one: how are they scientifically different? As Sunnyd said, what level of classification do they differ at (different species, genus, etc.)?

@Everyone: Also, I hate to be picky about this seeing as it is irritating to me as well, but check your sources- yahoo answers and other answer engines aren't all that great. Try using websites that end in .org, .edu, .gov, or .com websites that look reasonable- or, go on databases! (Even I forget that one 99% of the time). And what is a Turducken, anyway?

Mrs. Marbles said...

@njguy: Er, I think you mixed up what's from where... According to Grolier, wild turkeys are native from South Canada to Mexico, although it did say that the Indians domesticated wild turkeys. I think that the article meant Native Americans, not Indian Indians. Grolier stated that domestic chickens came from Asia.(specifically India)

Now, to answer the question, there are some differences between turkeys and chickens. First, chickens are fed grains like corn and barley while turkeys eat fruits, seeds, small reptiles, and crustaceans. Second, chickens tend to be smaller. For instance, the prairie chicken is 16 to 18 inches long while the turkey is 50 inches long.

Mrs. Marbles said...

Oops! Forgot my sources:
Clark, George A., Jr. "Turkey." Encyclopedia Americana. Grolier Online http://ea.grolier.com/article?id=0395230-00 (accessed November 23, 2010).
Nesheim, M. C. "Chicken." Encyclopedia Americana. Grolier Online, 2010. Web. 23 Nov. 2010.
"turkey." Science Online. Facts On File, Inc. Web. 23 Nov. 2010. .

Volti, Rudi. "chicken and egg production." Science Online. Facts On File, Inc. Web. 23 Nov. 2010. .
Who knew? The databases let you cut and paste citations in MLA format!

Green Guy said...

Hey it's Green Guy once again. To me, this was actually a very simple question, but it was difficult to get reliable sources. To begin with, I am going to talk about the physical differences. Turkeys are "bigger birds with longer tail feathers." Chickens bodies are also, generally, more moist, making it slightly easier to cook compared to turkeys. On the inside, chickens contain more white meat and have a more mellow taste. Next, I found a website and it had a forum and discussion page about the differences and it also showed pictures of the two different animals. From these pictures, I can conclude that turkeys have more feathers and are much bigger and also have larger "wattles," which are the extra red skin that are blood storage for chickens and turkeys. Lastly, SunnyD, I found out that a Turducken is actually a hybrid of a turkey, duck, and chicken/hen. I don't understand how an animal or creature can be a hybrid of three different animals. I also found that that it is actually chicken stuffed in a duck, which is stuffed in turkey. So, I am not sure if it is the actually three foods put inside each other as a recipe or that it is a hybrid or that the animals ate each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turducken

http://www.sodahead.com/fun/what-is-the-difference-between-a-chicken-and-a-turkey/question-503239/

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1850131

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071215155257AAlQje6

Unknown said...

Chickens have shorter feathers than turkeys and they can't fly. turkeys could fly(wild ones)turkeys weigh heavier than chickens too.:D

www.wiki.answers.com/.../Whats_the_difference_between_a_chicken_and_a_turkey -

Toad Rockz said...

Ahh...the Turducken, my brother wanted to make one of those for Thanksgiving! To Pippin, a turducken is a duck, stuffed inside a chicken stuffed inside a turkey. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong though.

njguy320 said...

First of all, thank you everybody for commenting on my post. Here is why chickens and turkeys are scientifically different from each other. Both the turkey and the chicken have cytochrome-c acids but they have different proteins in their bodies so it makes them different from each other. So to sum it up, they are almost alike, but not quite because of different proteins in their bodies.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081005192319AAeaXAw

awesome _ spectacular said...

@ Pippin: Toadrockz is right! It IS a turkey stuffed with a duck and stuffed with a chicken. Sounds interesting. I wonder how it would taste...

potterpeoplpals said...

Turkey's come from America, and chicken comes from Asia. Though chicken is much more popular in America. A turkey is a much bigger bird, while a chicken is a lot smaller. Both chickens and turkey's are in the same family, but have different tastes and textures.

http://www.ehow.com/about_4621566_chicken-turkey-healthier.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061123074328AAcHadj

Anonymous said...

Turducken? Wow
America, Asia, whats the difference?

awesome _ spectacular said...

@ Anonymous: well honestly, there's a BIG difference between America and Asia! Well, they're almost on like two sides of the world, and if you want to go from America to Asia or vice-versa, that would be one long plane trip, maybe over 16 hours!