Monday, November 15, 2010

Pippin's Question Box

What would happen if you deep fried an egg in its shell? Without its shell? (Would it explode?) Best 

15 comments:

njguy320 said...

The first question that I would like to answer is, "What would happen to an egg if you deep fried an egg with its shell on?" Well, simpily, the answer to that question would be yes. The reason why I have answered yes is because when you cook or fry an egg the inside of it expands, therefore no space would be available to the inside of the egg, or the "yolk".

The next question,"What would happen if you deep fried an egg without its shell on?" Well, for this the egg inside would become very yucy, mushy, and greasy. Most likely you wouldn't want to take a bite out of that. Even though this becomes very mushy, the egg inside will keep its place and stay intact for the time being.

Now we are on to the last question,"If you were to deep fry an egg, would it explode?" When you really think about it, yes it would at some point or another. When you put an egg into he microwave it will usually explode within about on minute or so (The video on the bottom will support this answer).

Well there you have it, all of my three through answers, not here are a few links to back that up.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070715103608AAJM3zL

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-would-happen-if-you-deep-fried-a-whole-egg%3B-shell-and-all

And here is the video of an egg exploding in a microwave:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGCQfxDCvi8&feature=fvw

~~~njguy320

Pippin14 said...

Nice to hear from you, njguy. However, I have to ask you: why does the egg expand? After all, generally, if something turns from a liquid to a solid, it contracts. So why would the egg expand? Could you unfry it? And why would the egg in the microwave explode?- I'll help you out with this one: the egg in the microwave explodes because steam gathers and puts pressure on the shell, causing it to explode. Does this apply to the deep frying, though?

awesome _ spectacular said...

Dear njguy, your other links are pretty good, but we would prefer if you didn't use Yahoo! Answers as as link. Now technically, if you use it next time, it won't count as a link because anyone can post on yahoo answers and you need a better link. But I did like you used more than one link!

njguy320 said...

To comment on what Pippin said, yes you are right, putting the egg in the microwave would cause it to explode, but when you put it in the fryer it would just open up because no space is there for the yolk to continue expansion.

SunnyD said...

From experience, microwaving has a different effect than other forms of cooking. Hard boiling an egg too fast causes the shell to split. I would assume that frying would be closer to boiling and would result in the same. I'll have to research further to give a good reason why - and "no" I will not be conducting this experiment in class!
SunnyD

Stardreamer said...

To answer Pippin's question(s) about why the egg expands, apparently, it is because of the proteins and amino acids. The egg white is made of mostly water and proteins. The proteins are really a bunch of chains of amino acids rolled up in a ball, held together by bonds. When the egg white is heated up, the bonds break and the amino acids spread out, create new bonds, and "capture" water in a process called coagulation, which turns it into a solid-ish thing [and expands). The longer it's cooked, the more "rubbery" it gets. This applied to boiling the egg when you drop it in already hot water. Since deep-frying is kind of like cooking with really, really hot oil instead of really hot water, I'm guessing that the same sort of thing could happen if you deep fried an egg in its shell as if you boiled, just more instantaneous. Perhaps, if the oil is extremely hot, the white would solidify so quickly that it'll push against the shell and cause it to explode. If the egg was fried without the shell, provided that you don't blind yourself by the sizzles of the hot oil jumping out at you (ouch), the egg would probably just be a ball-ish fried egg- maybe a little brown or something on the outside. I don't think that it would spread out too much in the oil because the oil would repel the moisture, and an egg is mostly water anyway.

I have to wonder, now, though: if we put the egg in (any) container of water, would it spread out or stay together? What about (regular, not boiling) oil? Or honey? That's weird. Can we try that out in class?

Here are my links:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/eggs/explore-text.html http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/33795
http://scicom.ucsc.edu/scinotes/0001/fries.htm

Green Guy said...

To begin with, I thought that this question was very interesting. I searched this online and I found very similar results, so this may be true. One of the websites that I looked at said that the egg shell would crack because it expands while it is cooking. Then, I looked at another website, which was more specific and slightly different. This website stated that the egg shell would turn a little crisp. On this same website, someone posted that nothing would happen to the outer layer, but the inside of the egg, the yolk, would be fried. I turned to a third source and found out that it would, in fact, explode. For the second question, I believe that the egg would be very nasty, disgusting, mushy, and almost like jello, but with a crispy taste of egg. As I have stated earlier, yes, it would explode.
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/64874

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070715103608AAJM3zL

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-would-happen-if-you-deep-fried-a-whole-egg%3B-shell-and-all

Anonymous said...

To answer the first question of, "What would happen if you deep fried an egg with its shell?" I have recently discovered that when you deep fry an egg the warmth off the water causes the inner core of the egg to expand larger than its regular size. This would then lead to the yoke to push against the shell causing the yoke to brake or explode. This would furthermore answer the question of, “Would it explode?"

The next question that you asked was, "Without its shell?" As in, what would happen if you deep fried an egg without its shell? Using common sense I figured that if the yoke was expanding before, but kept pushing on the shell causing it to constantly stop, but now since the shell is gone the egg can freely grow, and grow without getting stopped. This would also lead to the egg not exploding further answering the question, "Would it explode?"

Now that I have answered all three questions ill tell you were I found my sources from:

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-would-happen-if-you-deep-fried-a-whole-egg%3B-shell-and-all

Thanks for reading!
-sbviking14

awesome _ spectacular said...

Great sources Stardreamer!

Toad Rockz said...

Wow, these answers are all so interesting to read!

To Stardreamer, My guess is that if an egg is in any kind of hot boiling liquid then it probably would explode, because if the oil is boiling then there would be a lot of energy in that oil(and that energy could possible contribute to the energy already inside of the egg???), but not enough to prevent it from exploding. After all if something is going to explode then that means that it must had have a lot of pent up energy, and I think that something, like a little bit of oil wouldn't stop it, but that's just me ^^

To Green Guy, I wonder if the actual egg would taste like an egg...or just like bland jello. Either way, I think that it would be pretty gross to even try. ^^

Keep the answers coming! ...well actually not really, since it's Friday and it's too late to answer the question, but whatever!

Cheeseburger said...

Hmm.. just as an observation, but when you regularly fry an egg, sometimes you get this crunchy brown part that is (I think) just the egg white spread really thin and fried- could that happen when you deep fry it? Like if you spread out the egg white into a long noodle-ish stream and fried it?

Green Guy said...

To Toad Rockz, I think that the egg would taste like a burnt egg on the outside with a regular egg taste in the inside. This is because if you think about the frying of french fries, you will realize what I am talking about. When you fry french fries, the middle part or the yolk stays the same for the most part, but just the outer layer of the fries become crispy. Similarly, I believe that the egg would be the same in the inside and crispy or burnt on the outside.

Pippin14 said...

Good work, everyone! To Green Guy and Njguy: Thanks for checking back to see what others said about your post. That's what we're looking for, having people come back and comment back and forth to create a discussion. While I may not be participating in the discussion all the time, there will be someone, like Toadrockz, Awesomespectacular, or even Sunnyd (if you're lucky), who'll hopefully respond to what you say- and you can respond to what others say too! Once again, awesome first question responses!

patronus_charm said...

Hi! I came up with an answer for your questions, Pippin. If the egg was in its shell, yes it would explode. If you deep fry an egg, the insides of the shell would enlarge. The shell doesn't expand and it can't hold in the expanding insides. Therefore, the egg shell will crack and explode. If you get rid of the shell, you'd still have the egg, but it would become greasy and gross. The egg wouldn't explode. Well, that's what I have to say about these questions. Here are my sources.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070715103608AAJM3zL

http://www.chacha.com/question/what-would-happen-if-you-deep-fried-a-whole-egg%3B-shell-and-all

Thanks! Bye!
-patronus_charm

Toad Rockz said...

To Green Guy: but the thing is, if you have ever burnt something in your life, you will know that the burnt taste will seep into the flavor of the food you burnt. It won't just stay on the outside of the egg and contaminate the shell; so most likely you would end up with a burnt egg, inside and out.(believe me, I've had burnt egg before...not a very good combination...)I also think that the egg shell would just break, and not turn crispy. Simpley because the egg shell is already crispy, so if it manages to get any crispier then it'll just flake away...right?

But french fries are not like eggs, since they don't have a liquid inside of them...so I can see where you are coming from, but you really can't compare the two...
Now if you injected an egg white into a french fry and burnt it, then we could compare the two! (but I seriously doubt that anyone would ever want to do that ^^)

To Cheeseburger: Hmm...that's a good question...although, I just think that either, it would turn out completly brown like you said or it would just break since the energy/heat from the oil would be too much for that poor little egg white to handle and it would just disinergrate.

Unfortunately, I don't have a deep fryer at my house to try this out; maybe I'll ask for one for Christmas (so I can finally deep fry twinkies!) Yay!

Keep up with the discussion!(^^)