Monday, February 21, 2011

Pippin's Question Box

Is it true that elephants have good memories? If so, why?

http://aspinola.wordpress.com/2007/11/12/do-elephants-really-never-forget-the-truth-about-proverbs/


 http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/do-elephants-really-have-good-memories

3 comments:

potterpeoplepals said...

Many people are misled by the proverb, "An elephant never forgets" but this isn't completely true. While elephants have a large brain, they do not have that good a memory. An elephant can only remember about 30 or so of the commands you may try and give it. So elephants really don't have great memories at all!

http://aspinola.wordpress.com/2007/11/12/do-elephants-really-never-forget-the-truth-about-proverbs/

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/do-elephants-really-have-good-memories

magnoliablossom21 said...

In a top of intelligence, humans are followed by apes, elephants and dolphins. The elephant brain is denser than the human's, and the temporal lobes, associated to memory, are more developed than in humans.Elephant's lobes also have more foldings, so that they can store more information. That's why elephants have excellent memory.

@potterpeoplepals- I disagree with you on the idea of elephats really dont have great memories at all.

sources- http://aspinola.wordpress.com/2007/11/12/do-elephants-really-never-forget-the-truth-about-proverbs/

njguy320 said...

Ironically, I had always wondered if elephants are smarter than humans, considering that their brains are larger, but after reading this article, I realzied I was slightly, but not fully, correct.

Elephants DO have larger brains than humans, and because of this, they can store more memory, and as stated from the article that I read, "They can remember elephants that they met decades age." Can you believe that? Some humans don't even have the ability to remember each other from decades age.

Elephants are also known to do things where an active brain is required, such as remember commands, remember complex patterns of communication, and lead dying elephants to a special burile ground that they can forever rest. Overall, elephants are very intelligent creatures, and while their brain may not beat the human brain, they still can remember a large amount of information.

Here is the source I got my information from:

http://aspinola.wordpress.com/2007/11/12/do-elephants-really-never-forget-the-truth-about-proverbs/

~~~njguy320